Saturday, December 30, 2017

Thriftwashing

... is when I buy something used that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole at the shop it started out in.

Ananda jeans from GVF. Anything from Forever 21. Hobby Lobby. Gap. Torrid. Either can't afford them or dislike them or nothing fits me properly. 

I let someone else buy them, break them in, get tired of them, and donate them. And then I buy them. 

Someone got paid for their first job to sort through them. Maybe the company isn't as charitable as they present themselves to be. Value Village combines their charitable funds and their for-profit funds in a way that muddies their nonprofit status (the short version of this: you keep those piles separate and well accounted for, or you don't get the benefits at tax time). At present, they and the Attorney General of Washington are suing each other over their charitable status. But they have the stuff and they put it out on the shelves everyday. If you follow my IG feed, you know they have sold me (and you) some sweet sweet things, from that honey of a Singer Slant to those 69 cent Vogue patterns (the Givenchy McQueen and that autographed Edith Head, just to mention two more notable ones)  Goodwill pays their CEO and upper management redonculous salaries and puts the good stuff online on Ebay and Amazon, where I can bid on it at my peril. 

I bought a pretty sweet military style winter coat, Forever 21, that needed new buttons and mending (all the parts were there, just not sewn on very well), but for $5, it was worth it as a gift for my pal JPo. Yes, $5 and over $60 for new buttons from Nancy's Sewing Basket. It took over a month for the Button Orderer to see the order on her desk, but eventually it happened.

Friends, she's worth it!

And speaking of buttons and Nancy's
This sign was posted in Nancy's. And this my friends is why Amazon and Joanns and Home Depot and Walmart all suck it if you produce an item; they demand all your business exclusively, or they won't buy from you at all.

Nancy's is still closed and the space is up for lease, but mid-December, there was still a lot of stock and furniture in there.

As for sewing, I am working on a winter coat (posting process on IG), and attending to the almost 21 year old son home from college. There's going to be a time when he doesn't come home here, and I'm enjoying his company while I still have it.
See you in the new year. Hopefully in a new coat!
-------------------------------------
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/washington/articles/2017-12-12/value-village-sues-washington-attorney-general-over-demands

http://www.atg.wa.gov/news/news-releases/ag-ferguson-s-lawsuit-reveals-comcast-deceived-customers-charged-service-plans

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/25/business/thrift-chain-said-to-pocket-money-meant-for-charity.html?_r=0

4 comments:

  1. Love the concept of thriftwashing. You have explained why I shop thrift. I know how it will look washed and worn in, and that it has some staying power. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thriftwashing can be applied to high end items as well. I could touch new cashmere sweaters in new stores, but actually buy them second hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sons and I are fond of petting things in stores. Because "shopping isn't buying".

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.