Sunday, November 19, 2017

Bernina bobbins branded and otherwise

I seem to have a new Bernina in my future, and it came without a bobbin case. So I went online on Amazon and Ebay to shop.
The same companies sell on both, the prices are the same.
The one on the left came with my original 140 Activa machine.
The one on the right was the unbranded online purchase.

Unbranded has a thinner arm for thread, and a tension screw of same metal as case (original has a darker metal screw)

There are more metal working marks, but that's immaterial.

 Hole is at about the same angle from the body.

The thread hole in the arm is a little bigger. Since many bobbin cases don't have that hole, that's fine.

This is where my issues come in. The side opening on the metal spring on the side (which is how you are adjusting the thread tension) is kinda outta whack.


This is the original. All lined up nice

And this is the online purchase. The opening between the prongs is smaller, the 'tension spring'  isn't lined up in the middle. 

I could test it, and I probably will, but I've got a stack of real sewing to do and not a lot of play time.

It was about ten dollars, but I could have spent between 5 and 20 for the same model from various sellers.

So I'm glad the repair shop talked me into buying a branded one. I mean, I'm cheap thrifty, but dang.


6 comments:

  1. I've had a similar experience with bobbins for my old Singer. The cheap ones look almost right, but function poorly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Parts for older machines are turning into my grail quest: when I'm at an estate sale, and there might be a sewing machine cabinet, I tend to rifle the drawers......I PAY for what I find. I'm a good girl, I am!

      Delete
  2. you did the right thing.
    not worth saving $10 to buy something that will drive you crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am considering my purchase of this little piece of junk my public service. It may yet find a purpose, just not on anything I'm valuing.

      Delete
  3. They're fascinating little things though; little nuggets of engineering. I love handling them though only do this very rarely at college if I'm doing a course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delightful to hear from you, I hope all are well in your universe. As for bobbin cases, there are relatively few functioning parts, and yet that metal spring gets a whole lot of work done, merely by adjusting a screw. I've wanted a second and third that I can leave adjusted for heavy thread and light cording for decorative sewing (or reverse topstitching as it were). My dad was right, I shoulda skipped the art school and just gone into engineering.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.