Sunday, September 3, 2017

Summer Sundress, finale 2017

Sometimes, an idea just floats around and everyone takes a bite of it. I've done it. A few years ago, I made this sundress.
The Honeycomb Hideout Tardis Effect


this is the rough pattern piece layout plus photo. I was going to be short on yardage, so I traced off the top and cut it on the bias so I could fit it on what I had.. 
Mine does not overlap the pieces at the top like 'Given A Chance', but it does bear a 'classic housedress' resemblance that is more than passing to me.  I'm sure we're all pulling from some ur-dress that birthed them all.
I know there is a far far older version of this kind of dress, but I can't seem to find a pattern for it right now. I will come back to this and fix it when I find it.


 And it doesn't have the nifty neck feature from 'Cat's Cradle'


So as this summer's sundress finale, I decided I should kluge the three and create the "Given a Cat's Cradle's Chance it's Lucha Libre" dress.

Professor F's blog is entirely responsible for the purchase of this fabric, the Alexander Henry Lucha Libre print. It's a huge repeat with a lot of pop. And shirtless wrestlers.

They are large shirtless men on pockets.

Big prints are fun, but you lose any pattern details right away. So  I bought some vaguely color coordinating fabrics to pick them out a bit. 
Our key word is vaguely.

There's the split bodice, with tasteful appliques from the larger print, on a fat quarter of True Colors Lazy Stripe/Tula Pink and a half yard of Philip Jacobs Spiral Shells/Rowan, both from Pacific Fabrics.
I did not use ribbon for the fancy framing. I made quarterfold binding ongrain (cutting the facing on the bias) so I could continue the overly busy color combo.

I needed to unpick and resew the binding. Head grew unexpectedly.

The front applique and binding. 

and the back.

 I fused and cut out and fused again for the lettering, and then went around them with a medium density zig zag stitch.

It's....busy. This room needs cleaning.
My kitchen needs cleaning too.

No full size fashion shots. Family does not want to take photos of me in this dress,  something about 'too busy to be looked at with naked eye'

At the end of the summer, I just wanted to go out with a bang. Work wraps up this week, and then we go back to the girl choir hems.
Ya know, grey chiffon.
Also the Refashioners 2017 Suits You challenge. 
Pondering.
See ya sooner.


11 comments:

  1. Fabo! Just stick you head on top of the manikin shot and no one will be the wiser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. who knew a Tardis dress could look so tame by comparison...

      Delete
    2. Through a laundry day fluke, I'm wearing Lucha today. I may fool someone into a photo yet.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's going to see Los Straitjackets this month (should still be just warm enough), so that's a pretty good party! And thanks!

      Delete
  3. I went off to college with several versions of McCalls 8590 in various prints....all very short because it was the mid-60s....none were as cool as your Lucha Libre dress, however.

    ceci

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, you are the better dressed sister. It's an honor to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a tripod in your photo! What's this "needing someone to photograph her" nonsense. Otherwise, I hope the dress is giving you much pleasure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.